Partially because this was Rolling Stone’s #1 punk album of all-time I listened to it, among others, on my way out to LABR last Friday.
1) There are several other albums I could argue for #1, but I could also easily defend this one.
2) Joey’s vocal inflections are classic, “Now I Wanna Snib Some Glub” and “I Don’t Wanna Go, Down To The Basem” come to mind immediately. There are plenty of others. What’s the source of this genius/idiocy?
3) Realized on the flight out that I know every single word to every single song on this album. In my world, bars would host “Sing Along To The Ramones Debut Album” night. Fuck EDM. Fuck EDM again. For good measure.
4) Tommy’s drumming. Hypnotic. Does it get any better?
5) I include this song because of a stupid college story. I discovered this album as a freshman in college (1978 – yes, I was late to the Ramones party). There was this really ugly freshman girl named Renata and our entire floor would sing “I used to make a living man, pickin’ up Renata.” I can still see her picture in our freshman class picture book.
6) Is this rock ‘n’ roll? (Nice when it’s a rhetorical question.)